Pod-Cast: Burnin’ Up
Happy summer! The first official day of summer was last Wednesday. Temperatures here in New York City reached a scorching 97 degrees and as the heat wave blazed on, BTF thought it may be a good idea to review some key tricks and tips for remaining cool and safe while playing in the heat.
Hopefully everyone knows that playing sports or even simply being active in excessive heat can be very dangerous. In extreme heat, dehydration, heat exhaustion and electrolyte imbalances are more likely to occur. Here are a few tips and guidelines for enjoying the sports you love in the heat that can make it challenging.
- Drink the right amount of fluids – on a hot day be sure to drink more H2O than usual: before, during and after your activity.
- Replace lost electrolytes – these are salts and minerals of your body that sweat often removes. It’s essential to replace them either with salty foods or sports drinks like Gatorade.
- Wear the right kind of clothing – be sure to dress yourself in lightweight, light-colored and loose-fitting clothing.
- Always wear sunscreen – simple as that. Make sure it’s of 30 SPF or higher and sweat proof.
- Listen to your body – if you notice headaches, fatigue or nausea, take a breather, drink some water and cool down.
As the school year comes to an end and sports games and outdoor activities pick up, be sure to play heat and sun smart!
Besides all those baseball and softball games coming your way, so are more BTF/MLB Equipment Days! This past Friday, the Boston Red Sox collection happened at Fenway Park and lasted throughout the weekend. The Miami Marlins will host their collection drive this Saturday 6/30 and the Atlanta Braves will close out the month with their collection on Saturday 6/30 and Sunday 7/1. The BTF Facebook and Twitter pages are chock full of updates, pictures, and further details so be sure to check them out.